Today in the CBRM, 20% of seniors over 65 live in poverty. This is higher than both the provincial and national rates and puts seniors in our community at increased risk for chronic food insecurity.
Each year, we deliver 20,000 meals to those in need, enabling more people to live well and longer in their homes.
We’re a charitable organization that relies on donations to get hot, healthy food to seniors and others in need in our community.
With your help, we can do more.
Make a one-time donation, or turn your donation into a monthly gift — it’s the gift that keeps on giving!
Donate by Mail
New Dawn Meals on Wheels
PO Box 1055, Sydney
Nova Scotia B1P 6J7
New Dawn Meals on Wheels is a charitable, non-profit, volunteer-driven organization committed to fostering independence and quality of life.
Each year, we provide 20,000 hot and nutritious meals to people in our community who are unable to prepare meals for themselves. All meals are delivered to the doorstep by a team of friendly and dedicated volunteers.
Research shows that healthy eating promotes not only physical health but general wellbeing. It reduces the risk for chronic diseases at older ages, and to leads to increased autonomy.
More than meals
In addition to the benefits of regular nutritious meals, New Dawn Meals on Wheels also provides:
- Frequent social contact and interaction with our volunteers.
- An opportunity to maintain and regain independence at home.
- Relief to primary caregivers who, rather than preparing meals, can attend to other tasks or take time for themselves.
- Comfort for non-live-in family and friends, knowing their loved ones are provided with regular nutritious meals and a caring connection.
- A sense of well-being knowing that our community is working together to ensure that our seniors are well cared for.
Volunteer Resource Centre (Sydney)
Charitable Registration Number
See how we stay accountable:
*Based on information the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides to CanadaHelps on a quarterly basis. Charities must file financial information within six months of the end of their fiscal year at the CRA. Charities may file more frequently. The Reporting Period End Date for the data presented is indicated in the chart.